Certificate in Business and Hospitality Studies
First launch – September 2021
The Certificate in Business and Hospitality studies was developed in collaboration with Montreux International School and is issued by Hotel Institute Montreux (part of the Swiss Education Group). The course is delivered through the VIE Academy online platform with an additional in-person Summer school and can be implemented as the career-related study aspect of an IB school’s Career-related Programme (IBCP) or as stand-alone course alongside other qualifications.
This Certificate in Business and Hospitality studies is designed to develop student’s foundational knowledge in the fundamentals of business and hospitality. The course develops a range of higher order thinking skills (such as evaluation and reflection) as well as the essential professional skills and opportunities for creative thinking in the context of business and hospitality.
Students learn to apply, analyse and evaluate their knowledge in both their own locations as well as regionally and globally; this is in consideration of the scale of the business organisations from Transnational Corporations to independent businesses.
The course covers the key features of business organization including but not limited to marketing, finance, human resources and operational management. There is a strong emphasis in the course on reflection, honesty and how the student can learn about themselves and their future prospects.
This is developed through scenario-based learning and understanding the real-life applications of knowledge through creative individual projects in every unit. Throughout the course there are essential expectations of ethical decision-making grounded by secure knowledge and understanding of local and global contexts, health and safety and finance.
- Develop a holistic view of the scope and dynamic nature of the hospitality and business.
- Encourage strategic and critical thinking about structures, contracts, financial operations, and marketing approaches of the hospitality industry.
- Examine the importance of exploring business issues from different cultural and ethical perspectives.
- Apply knowledge about the importance of health and safety regulations, internal procedures, and biology to customers and guest’s safety.
- Critique the nature and significance of the effects of globalization on the hospitality industry examining recent dynamic world events.
- Develop awareness of the importance of environmental, social, cultural and ethical factors in the actions of individuals and organizations.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of societal trends, geopolitical changes, global events (such as pandemics) for the future of the hospitality & tourism business environment.